Friday, December 27, 2013

Holiday Sneer

Partida, di pa yan pasko...


So I'm kicking myself lately for not being able to attend a couple of recent gigs that I wished I was able to. No particular reason really, nakakatamad lang din talaga what with all the traffic clogging the main thoroughfares. Imagine, traffic na nga along the highways on normal days pano pa kaya pag pasko? And it seems everybody is expecting it that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Definitely one of the signs that Christmas is approaching. 





time for a "new" album!

And now that the day has finally come and gone, I get to thinking, ano pa ba ibang sinyales na pasko na nga dito sa atin, aside from the mutated metro traffic? Mga parol, christmas lights, giant made up trees, more lights, belen, kids caroling, simbang gabi and more lights. Tiba tiba na naman Meralco neto with their jacked up electricity prices, just in time for the season. Luckily, a TRO was issued pero pano na ung mga nakapagbayad? 

I would argue that one of the signs that Christmas is here is the appearance of good ol' Jose Mari Chan on the tele promoting another one of his Christmas albums. Jeez, talk about monopoly. Makagawa ka lang ng isang bagong kanta me album ka na. Just recycle the old standards and there you go. Smart geezer eh?

oh the irony!
And now that we're on the topic of christmas albums, what's up with Bad Religion's new release? Yes, the band that has a crossbuster logo has come up with their very own christmas album ( tracks include Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Little Drummer Boy, O Come all Ye Faithful, blah blah...). I've taken a listen to some of the tracks and frankly, this is one BR album that I wouldn't mind not having. Reminds me of SLF doing White Christmas, ugh!

Now the Vandals 1996 Oi to the World is a more proper album as a soundtrack to the season. And with tracks like Christmas for my Penis, C.H.R.I.S.T.M.A.S. ( C is for your little Clit, H is for pubic Hair, R is for Rectum, you get the picture... ) and of course, the excellent title track ( that they introduce in one live track as "a song for unity and not going shopping" ), it doesn't get snottier than that.

Local chaps Middle Finger has also released a christmas themed casette back during the day. I know I still have it somewhere still, along old RMD/MFP/TRC tapes but I just couldn't find it. Great artwork though.

And of course, to top all this mirth and merriment ( or dearth and dissapointment, however way you look at it ) is the excellent Brain Drain track by the Ramones. 


Whatever the day has meant to you, here's hoping that you didn't have to fight with anyone. Or if you did, there's always next year to make up...

PS..

On a side note, here's a classic story on the Pistols Xmas gig for the kids. Never Mind the Carols...

No comments:

Post a Comment

....if you've got something to say, just spit it out