Thursday, October 25, 2012

A Chat with Noel Punxia - Mutilated News


When I was doing my zine back then, I've had the privilege to interview through mail(!) Noel Francia aka Noel Punxia of Mutilated News/Noise. Eto ung mga panahon na buhay pa ung printed version ng Mutilated News. Mula sa baul na tong interview na to and mukhang hindi na kumpleto, buti natago ko pa. I remember the answers were written in yellow pad and they were quite long. I'm hoping na marelease ko to in full and in its proper form as a zine, pero for now, here's how it went. Wala na akong contact ke Noel, I hope he doesn't mind me posting this. Again, bear in mind, this was done ages ago but I think this still deserves to be read.

_________________________________________________________________

1.For the benefit of our readers out there, would you kindly introduce yourself and tell us how you got involved in the punk scene in the first place. Why are you still at it now and what are your current projects? Do you see yourself continuing to support the scene in the future?

NF: Wow, parang live interview, hello mike test, introduce myself, hehehe. I'm Noel Francia aka Noel Punxia, 30 y.o., married with 2 kids. Well, I got involved thru my HS classmate Pinky Siojo, who was the younger sister of Eddie Siojo, the original vox of BETRAYED (who was then already in the US), I was able to see punk gigs (rooftop of Ortanez Residence in Blue Ridge, Katrina's, etc.) of the Betrayed (w/o Eddie Siojo) for free. Why am I still at it? It's a matter of choice, coz most of my contemporaries live normal lives nowadays so to speak, totally abandoning their punk ethics, but it's ingrained in my system, I won't throw it away just like that.
Current projects, well, still doing my zine, Mutilated News (printed issue and web version). Plus I'm coordinating the Code 13 Philippine tour for May 16-22, 2000. Of course, I will still to continue to support the local scene in the future but not at the same level when I was in my teens, as I already am a Punk rock dad and have a full time job.


2. How has the scene in the Philippines changed over the years? Has it improved or has there been a decline in the general state of the pinoi punk/hc scenes? What can you say about the different provincial scenes that are sprouting all over? what are your top 10 fave pinoi acts then and now?

NF: Well, the scene has generally changed for the better I guess there are more fanzines, gig violence is quite rare (except last December 11,99 when Atan Casuncad was attacked outside the Dapitan Sports Complex), bands are producing their own albums (NSA and ADA), lots of local distros, DIY networking among the different local scenes, etc. Of course, it's a good sign that provincial scenes are sprouting coz it means that Metro Manila is not the only punk/hc scene in the Philippines, other people have taken the initiative to make their own thing. As the saying goes, "Support Your Scene, Don't Sit Back, Make it Happen!". Top 10 pinoi punk/hc acts I like then and now, well in no particular order, IOV, Betrayed, 3rd World Chaos, VOD, Infernal Wrath, RDA (even now!), Biofeedback, Social Gooks, Mongoloids and Psychotic Change. Now, my faves are Signal 3, Power of Discipline, Feud, ADA, Resurrected, COR, the Critics, Bad Omen and Red Corpse.

3. Mutilated News, your zine, is considered a pioneer in the local scene (since 88, right?). How did it start and were you always on your own in making the zine? what do you think are the factors behind Mutilated's longevity?

NF: Yup, actually I did my first issue early '88 which I just gave to friends and swap it with my penpals abroad, it started when I was studying in PATTS, did it with my punk schoolmates, then from #4 to #8 Regie Pablo was my full-time partner in doing the zine, we were inspired to make our own as only a few actually existed back then like Growll, Garbage, etc. and if they can do it well, I was sure we can D.I.O. (do it ourselves) too! Dedication and commitment are two main factors coz without it, Mutilated News would not have lasted (well, almost since it was put on hold for 7 years after a long, dreary hiatus, I was a slacker in finishing it on time, I had my thoughts of just quitting, I was in limbo back then, juggling work, family, etc. before I was jolted back to my punk senses)this long.

4. For you, what's the best and worst thing in doing a zine? How important do you think are zines for any underground scene?

NF: The best thing, well it seems conveying what you want to say w/o any censorship or restrictions of any sort plus communicating your thoughts and making new friends here and abroad, bridging the gap between other punk/hc scenes all over the world. Worst part, well, getting flak from what you've written in your zine plus not having enough money to publish it. It is so important in any underground scene because this is what matters, it's an integral part of it, a tool of communication.

5. In the 90's, Biofeedback released their tape, Hardtimes, under Mutilated Noise. How did that came about and what problems did you encounter while producing the tape?

NF: Well, Hard Times is actually a project of Biofeedback themselves, I just gave financial support and they just used Mutilated Noise Records. Better ask Reymund Bravo about the details (problems, how long it took to finish, design of the cover, tape duplication, etc.).


6. Are there any future plans for Mutilated Noise to release material from other acts (pinoi or otherwise)? If so, are there any criteria that bands should meet before Mutilated handles their material?

NF: Yes, I still have plans to release other material from mainly Pinoi acts but as of the moment, due to my hectic work schedule, I'm not sure if I can handle it, maybe in the near future. As long as they are DIY punk/hc bands no problem, basically I can help with duplication and printing of tape covers, so as to make it simple.

7. Our Asian counterparts have been able to release high quality DIY stuff and we haven't even though the Philippine scene is older than theirs. Why is this so? Has there been a lack of pinoi punks willing to put their time and effot in producing tapes/albums?

NF: If you're referring to Malaysia and Singapore, well their countries are more economically stable and they (the scenesters out there) are well-to-do so to speak than us 3rd world country punx, they have better access to better recording equipment and they can very well afford it. No, we have lots of great pinoi punk/hc bands that have good material but the financial aspect of it should be considered, as most the DIY punk labels here have limited monetary resources.

8. Recently,  foreign acts are beginning to come over the Phil. for some gigs (about time, if I may add). If a foreign band would show interest in playing here, how would they be handled, how does the process go?

NF: Well, based from experience (ALL YOU CAN EAT Tour '95) which I helped organize, they should not expect too much of a financial gain doing a tour here n the Philippines as most of the HC/punks are unemployed or majority are students and it's mostly done thru DIY HC/punk networking. Well, since I have internet access at work, what  I do is contact the bands through email and if they have plans for a Southeast Asian tour, I ask them to consider our country to be in their itinerary.

Unfortunately, it looks like this is the end of the interview, I think there were 2 more questions left but sadly, this is what I was able to save. Even though this wasn't published, thank you to Noel for taking the time to answer a young (then!) zinester's queries and hopefully, this would be a great read up to now. Cheers!

 
 




7 comments:

  1. Hahaha, Thanx for posting this jurassic interview!!!

    aixnuP leoN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ei noel iszatyou? oo nga e mula sa baul na yan, kasama ung contents nung zine na maiden issue pa lang aborted na. been wanting to put it out there since forever, ngaun lang nagkaron ng chance...salamats!

      Delete
  2. Yup its me!! Mabuhay nga ulit ang Mutilated News hintayin ang pagbabalik (siguro mga 10 years from now! hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone have an old issue of Mutilated News #8?

    ReplyDelete
  4. nope wala ako e, kahit nga ung 9 wala na, all i got are the stuff i managed to include in the zine.. hope somebody out there still has a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok thanks, Check out Mutilatednews.blogspot.com for more updates. Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete

....if you've got something to say, just spit it out