Thursday, September 12, 2013

Reviews - Bad Omen and the Go Signals

I got a couple of sounds recently and I thought I'd share my thoughts on 'em just for the heck of it. And if you are so inclined, you might want to get copies of your own. Well, you should as they're all quite good but don't take my word for it and find out on your own.




God is Everywhere - Bad Omen

A huge bang for your buck, this has 19 listed songs with the longest track clocking in at about 4 minutes. At first, I thought the last track was the longest ( listed at 5:44 ) but then if you keep playing Another Unity Song, you'll find a cover of Under Blue Skies' Falling, from the seminal 80s release, Ten of Another Kind which was a pleasant surprise. 

CD front

With a title like God is Everywhere, we have a couple of songs dealing with religion. Antanda kicks off the whole album in style segueing into the title track ( "Money, power, lies, gold...That's what you are made of"). Jesus Hates Me is a ska flavored track and Oh God! continues with the questions asking, "Do you think it all adds up? Is this how you explain life"? And it's no wonder because if you know the Philippines at all, you'll not fail to notice how strong an influence the Catholic Church is, in every facet of this society from its culture to politics. Election Day is a song about promises unfulfilled but it ties up nicely to the whole religion thing 'coz come election day, we see the politicos beg for the Catholic vote, Iglesia vote or whatever religious group is out there willing to back 'em up with their bloc votes and own agendas. Really fucked up.


CD layout

Some personal musings round out the whole CD ( Samuel Failed, Stuck Up, Mom, I Call it my World, Us ) and a couple of stabs/observations at the scene ( Super Punk, Another Unity Song ). On a lighter note, Druuna reminds me a lot of their old song Claudine, I'm not sure why, and Things I wanna Do is just pure fun ( with the glam vocals yeah! ). Future Generation is the token Twisted Red Cross cover. And the aforementioned, hidden cover, Falling is just icing on the cake.

Back 

The presentation of the album is quite nice, the layout of the inset looks like it could be a mini-poster and it's always a treat when bands take the time to have their lyrics included in their albums. Add to that the chaotic illustrations, Bad Omen's signature melodic punk rock n' roll sound and you've got another solid release from Middle Finger Productions.


 _____________________________________________________________________





The GO Signals - Secrets and Lies


Now this is a fun album, I've always had a fondness for that jangly guitar and upfront bass sound that always threaten to go into complete chaos -  but doesn't and manages to hold things together, if that makes any sense. Think the Jam ala Away from the Numbers/In the City. That's what makes this makes me think of.

CD front
What's nice about this is that the 'signals make that sound their own. Even if the sound is nothing new, it's still fresh because this sound is not quite abused as I think it is in other countries, at least not that I know of. Secrets and Lies features 11 mod-inspired, energy-filled tracks, you can just feel the urgency. Standouts for me being the biting title track, Sinong Aling Gloria? ( I don't think there's any doubt as to who this Aling Gloria is, nagtatanong lang naman... ), the singalong Die Someday, the moody Handusay ( if I'm not mistaken, this is an old Private Stock song ), Stand-Up which again asks everyone to get up off your asses, dress up mod style and shuffle your feet and the positive and upbeat Time ( "Get serious, don't you act oblivious...make it happen now!" ).

CD back - Secrets and Lies


Even the slower songs have their bite, Harapin is a nice ode talking about being the change that you want to see in the world. The GoSignals are definitely catchy and upbeat but it doesn't make you cringe. The alarm clock ringing that starts the whole thing captures the feel of the whole album, that get up now and do something attitude. Makes you want to shout a very positive Go!

You can get both of 'em at Middle Finger @ Recto. I'll be posting some more when I get my hands on 'em or once I get to actually sit down and get my thoughts organized so expect a lot more on these pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

....if you've got something to say, just spit it out