Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Makati's Burning!




Tug-Pak-Tug-Tug-Punk # 2
July 5, 2013 - Saguijo, Makati
_________________________________________________________________________________

I haven't watched a local punk gig in a very long time. 90's pa when I last witnessed a gathering of pinoi punk heroes. And if I remember correctly, kasama Philippine Violators sa lineup and Bad Omen too. Before the gig proper, I met this kid while loitering outside the venue. His name was "Gin", like the drink, and he  basically gave me a rundown on the city and the surroundings. We went to the gig together but when the doors opened we somehow got separated as the crowds came rushing and pushing in. And so I watched from the sidelines of the Pasay City Sports Complex as the critters came in and nearly tore the building to shreds. I remember being scared but exhilarated at the same time. I don't recall how the gig ended, it just somehow did amid the broken bottles and thrown monobloc chairs on the hardwood floor. I felt very strongly then that this shouldn't be how things should be and that was it for me.
Fast forward a decade later, a friend of mine, Grasi, told me about a gig to be held at a Makati watering hole. Saguijo was hosting a punk production for their Friday set. Bad Omen was set to play and I was instantly interested in going. I had just started the blog and I wanted to resume my appreciation for all things punk. This was also our chance to get some steam off by downing a few drinks and ranting about work. What else was there to do, really?

For those not in the know, Makati is Manila's main business district. The bar is located in the outskirts of the main Makati business area but it was quite ironic/subversive to hold a punk gig there. We went there early and busied ourselves by trading stories and making fun of the faces we saw before the gig started. Quips of "face eating" and "shocking looks but nice attitudes" were traded while we waited for the designated time.

A few laughs and pale/tonic drinks later, music and vocals were coming from inside the joint alerting us to the start of the event. The Suspects were starting to warm up the crowd with their set. Much as I would like to write more about them, surfing the net didn't prove fruitful in seeking basic information about the band. They do a good set of sing-along punk. Sabi ni Grasi akala nya ung kumakanta lalaki mula dun sa labas hehe... 

After that, we went out to light a few sticks and resumed our banter. As there were also ska bands on the bill, I was really looking forward to seeing new ( at least to me ) ska acts. For some of us, we can't forget how there was a time when Put3ska reigned supreme in that scene. Manila's Finest was one of the great live acts back in the day and I was fortunate enough to see them in their prime ( circa guitarist Arnold Morales' Urban Bandits' Manila Girl ). They embodied all that was great about ska, strongly reminding us of Two Tone and their logo, the iconic Walt Jabsco. 

..from pete tosh to walt jabsco...
from  www.thespecials2.com

Kaya lang mukhang napa-sarap na sa inom at kwento, I think we missed 1 or 2 groups. When we heard trumpet wafting from the inside, ( me nagtotorotot na sa loob ! ) we peeked inside since smoking was disallowed in the main performance area and we had to finish our sticks. I didn't get the group's name but the high point for me was their rendition of The Specials' Rat Race. I can totally appreciate a band covering this song as this was my soundtrack while bumming through 8 years of school. I noticed peeking from the outside there weren't too much dancing from the crowd which was quite peculiar. You can't really separate the dancing bits from ska... unless of course,  the song being played is Ghost Town....They also did Madness' It Must be Love which could be one of the most covered ska songs locally, seems like that to me, anyway.

A ska session in Jamaica ( in 4 parts )


Next up was The Republicats. Funny thing about the night was that their drummer was the only one that we noticed that had a mohawk among the crowd. I was personally expecting to see more spikes during the event. Anyway, spikes aside, their set was arguably the more energetic of the lot. We were shouting/singing along with the group as the skins ( and a couple of long hairs! ) started skanking and moshing up a little pit. Before their set started it looked like they were going to shoot a video or something as they had strong lights set up but the lights weren't seen when the dancing began. They did an original song, the name of which I didn't catch but it's definitely worth seeking out, I know I'll be.

..here kitty..the 'cats' logo from their FB page ..

After the raucous of the Republicats, we went out to light up some more and share our thoughts. We were outside when the next bands came on: Hilera ( whose set was characterized by the screaming girls ) and SMB ( Steady Moving Beat ) whose bassist, according to Grasi, was borrowing his guitar from a friend of hers. I wasn't too keen on going back in as I was a bit worn-out due to the high energy from the last set. We instead decided to hang out outside and take it all in. I was wondering where Bad Omen and the others were as the night ended after SMB's set. We probably missed them while we were outside earlier. I also should've taken notes but hey, who can jot down all this with all the buzz going on? All in all, the mood was very upbeat and positive throughout the night, good vibes, good laughs and good loud music to kick off the weekend. When's # 3? 





Skins, cats and a blonde mashing it up!
Kudos to grasi for the pics while i was busy with bobbin' heads... 


P.S. Have recently got hold of a track from the 'cats ( thanks Renmin! ). Listen to it at the top.





2 comments:

  1. salamat po sa magandang review.
    gagawa na kami ng facebook sir hihi

    love

    the suspects

    ReplyDelete

....if you've got something to say, just spit it out