Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Glimmer of Hope?

For some reason the other day, as I was walking home downtown, I had the sudden urge to go and get a daily paper. And here is what I found splashed on the front page:

From PDI


Now, I haven't been closely monitoring the news lately about this issue, as most Filipinos ( and people across the globe ) are still overwhelmed and heartbroken by what is happening to our brothers and sisters in the central part of the country, having been hit by some say, one of the strongest storms to ever hit landfall. I wasn't really expecting this on the paper's headlines, I was expecting to read more on the status of Haiyan/Yolanda relief efforts. It was so unexpected to me that I was hit with a sudden rush of emotion that tears started to well in my eyes..on one hand I was elated that this came to be although I can't help but wonder also whether this has come a bit too late. I was so filled with tears that when I got home, my wife was wondering what happened to me. All I can say was, "Tangina, ngaun nagisip na sila.", while giving her the paper. Now, I don't presume that I know all there is to know about the pork barrel issue, all I can really say is how this affects me and my reaction to it. And truly, it was a mixed bag of emotions.

As thousands of our countrymen struggle to find some way to get up with some semblance of normality after Yolanda/Haiyan, I guess it's fair to ask - regarding the money that was supposedly squandered on this pork barrel issue, could it have made the people more prepared to deal with this magnitude of calamity? Could it have been spent building better evacuation centers, better roads, better emergency responses and a much more better system to cope up with this catastrophe? Or is it all just wishful thinking even up to now, after all this? We're all just too ill-equipped to deal with the situation that even just counting the victims prove to be too much for the government.

The paper that I was reading said this court decision would even herald the end of patronage politics as the country has known it. That's all well and good but really, at what cost? The big question is what if Haiyan had never happened? Being a fan of what-ifs and speculation, I can't help but think, is it also fair to ask, mangyayari ba tong decision na to if not for Haiyan happening? Sobra naman na kung ang sagot e hindi.  


                                                           - people and children have died rather than others saying "I'm Sorry"

On a brighter note, a lot of people have been busy trying to put up benefit gigs left and right. A friend of mine said sa panahon ngayon, wala na sigurong hindi beneift gig. If you can, go to all of them. I have not been on a gig going mood lately but there are still other ways to help. I'm sure, by now, we all have found ways to contribute. And if you're still wondering how to help and where to start, the Philippine Red Cross is a good way to start. There are still organizations asking for volunteers out there, I've had the pleasure to volunteer for one and all I can say is kulang na kulang pa din ung tulong na umaabot sa kanila. Money, food, time, medicine, whatever, we all can help in any way that we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

....if you've got something to say, just spit it out