Saturday, May 25, 2013

Some Kind of Hate


"I got something to say
I killed your baby today
And it doesn't matter to me
As long as it's dead...."

As soon as you hear these words and the music kick in, you can't help but be taken in. Now Misifts music is not something new, you can hear the Ramones coming through very loudly sa style nila although with a much more chaotic feel. What they did differently was the way they presented it, so yeah you've got the black leather jackets and the spikes plus the hair ( devilock! ), but along that was the horror aesthetic that they included. I remember I told myself once if I would have a tattoo, then the Crimson Ghost Skull would be one of my first choices. There's just something about that skull...
I think last year, Michael Graves and Marky Ramone went here. Tough luck I missed it but there's a cool video in youtube of them performing Blietzkrieg Bop here: Blitzkrieg 1 and this one here: Blitzkrieg 2. Hey! Ho! Let's go!!! Funny na parang sumabit pa ung gitarista during the song e tatatlo na nga lang ung chords hahaha! With 3/4 of the original Ramones dead, it's crazy that the songs are still with us...

Anyway, this is about the Misfits so let's continue. Of course, the original singer of the Misfits was Glenn Danzig who later came up with a band with his surname out front ( ego trip, buti na lang cool sounding ung apelyido nya ). An taas din ng boses neto just try to sing along to the songs, they're not easy to sing sa key na tinutugtog nila. I'm listening to a lot of Misfits covers now ( acoustic! ) and the chords are in the correct key except for the vocals which are mostly sung in a lower range than how Glen sang it. I was never a fan of Danzig when "Mother" hit our shores but I didn't knew then that he was from the Misfits. I guess I just didn't give a damn who this new band was haha...I'm just imagining how he got through a Misfits gig singing those songs...wala na atang boses to after..

"All I wanted to say
And all I gotta do
Who'd I do this for
Hey, me or you"

If not for the tapes sa Recto noon, I'm not too sure how it would be possible for me to listen to Misfits music. That's how I got introduced to their sound. I'm pretty sure people who had the money to get imported records would be able to but for the kids in the streets, that's how you got to hear them.

misfit relic
"We walk the streets at night
We go where eagles dare
They pick up every movement
They pick up every loser
With jaded eyes and features
You think they really care"

Now this is a song that gets me up whenever I hear it. It just sums up the frustration that we feel into words.  I can see this being performed live with the kids shouting out the chorus. That would've been a treat if Marky Ramones' Blitzkrieg had that in their set ( did they? ). The thing with Misfits music is that it's basic rock n roll, 3 minute loud, fast, rock n roll songs. That's how it should be. Even though puro ghouls, zombies and death mga kanta nila, it's the attitude that comes out, the attitude of "this is what I want to do and this is what I want to sing about". I think that, in it's own way, is a very political thing to do, holding on to personal freedom and not giving a fuck. Some would even argue that there's nothing more political than that. What do you think?


"I ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
You better think about it baby
I ain't no goddamn son of a bitch
You better think about it baby, babe"


...that's why it's called the "crimson" ghost...







No comments:

Post a Comment

....if you've got something to say, just spit it out